Wednesday, December 28, 2011

A tribute to my Pa

I have been incredibly blessed in the family department. My family is seriously my biggest fan in life and for that I am so grateful. From afar they cheered me on, and being closer is even better. My mom comes to my house weekly to volunteer in the after school program and has recently recruited my dad. It's a huge help and a precious blessing to have them join me and love the kids I love.

My dad came the first week on his 57th birthday. I can't hardly believe my dad is 57 and that he would choose to join the chaos of Powerhouse on his big day. But, he pulled up in his clown car and I should have known not to be surprised.

The kids know who my dad is- a select few of them have a very healthy fear of him (I completely understand...and will keep that working in my favor for as long as possible!) One time when one of the boys broke a window I told him my dad was coming to fix it and he looked at me with big eyes and said "Is he going to be mad at me??". Double bonus: My dad lives close enough to fix my broken windows, and he has the scare factor still!

So, here comes Larry to join the fun. He was so fortunate to join us on gingerbread house day. My well intentioned themed days don't always play out as beautifully as I picture them in my head. I remember calling a parent that day, counting to ten more than once (one of my boys and I learned that from his anger management class :), and bribing the kids with a $10 cash money award for the best gingerbread house...I'm certainly not above bribes.

There was a whole lot of action going on- and I got a few concerned looks from my old man. But, it's just another day with my kiddos to me and I try to keep that brave face on in the midst of it. One thing led to the next and somehow all the kids were 'peacefully' creating their houses upstairs. The few who were mad at my insistance on partipcating even found themselves enjoying it.

I had snapped a few pictures and then turned around to find this:

I had to just pause for a moment and smile. It was quite beautiful and brought back many memories of sitting with my dad at the counter cheering me on then- and here 10 years later cheering on the ones I love.

The next week this is what I saw in the midst of the Christmas madness. And again, I am so humbled and blessed.

He brings to us so much confidence and peace, and provides a bit of security and love that so many of these kids crave- especially from a father.

I know you probably aren't surprised to hear that the kids aren't always angels. They have very trying moments and somedays I think to myself if I were a volunteer I'd be a goner. But, through those trying moments my dad and all my other volunteers have found what makes a person want to love these kids through those moments and for that I'm forever grateful.

To my dad...thank-you for loving the ones I love, and for loving me. It means the world to me to have you and Mom at the house each week and always just a short drive across town away. I am so lucky. Love you!

and...for your viewing pleasure...look at this fox :) ...
...his senior prom! homemade suit and all!

2 comments:

  1. Larry the Studmuffin......and that smile just screams, "Let me take your daughter to prom!" LOL....

    ReplyDelete
  2. funniest part is- his girlfriends mom made the suit AND made him ask her to go to prom. I suppose explains the thrilled look on his face. I couldn't find the one of him in the leopard print tank top...seriously that guy!

    ReplyDelete