Tuesday, June 23, 2009

$3.50

I know my mom is dying for pictures but I keep forgetting the cord I need to put them on here. Mom, I'll do it soon!

I have to tell this story that I wish I had a picture to accompany it. There is a man in the neighborhood named Gerry. He's probably 70 years old and he's got some sort of mental disability. But, he is harmless and kind as can be. He's also known as the neighborhood yard man and can do anything anytime...for a fee though. He's always got a cigarette hanging out of his mouth and has to pay for his habit!

My lawn mower has been broke for a few months. One of the neighbor boys was earning some dollars and brought it home busted. After weeks of promising to get it fixed there it sat in my garage, broke. So, Gerry had been promising to come over and fix it, still though, for a fee.

Finally I gave in and him and another fellow came over. He was grunting, and pulling and lifting and then he needed a wire hanger. Everything, down to the lawn mowers, in this neighborhood is ghetto. Almost every mower I've seen has the part wired shut that automatically keeps it turned on whether or not you're holding the 'keep it on' lever (safe, right Dad?). Well, as I was weeding my garden in the backyard it was music to my ears when I heard the rumble of my ghetto old lawn mower. Gerry had worked his magic yet again and had the ol' beater up and running.

However, that wasn't the end. In his broken speech he asked if I had any money. Those that know me know that I never have cash (for example, parking at the hosptial a few nights ago...). So i went and looked in my purse. Usually I try to sweet talk Gerry into a free deal, but I figured this deserved some pay. All I could find were three crumpled up dollar bills and the 50 cents in my pocket. I gave Gerry $3.50 and he rode away on his old bike with the milk crate basket happy as a clam.

Alot of people in the neighborhood write Gerry off. Not only is he a child of God, but he is a true asset to this neighborhood and what it means to live community. He came back last night needing gas for his mower. I agreed if it equaled a free lawn mowing while I'm out of town. I threw in a fresh baked muffin (by the kids...) and it was a deal.

This is living in community :).

1 comment: